As I write this, it is threatening to rain! (Typical!)
We all love a BBQ but of course, it’s hard to plan because you never know what the weather might do. However, it’s National BBQ Week so at least one BBQ had to be on the cards!
I was delighted to receive a BBQ pack from Tesco Northern Ireland, championing local produce. So, as soon as the sun shone on Wednesday we fired up the coals!
In the pack we had:
- 4 Beef steak burgers and 4 chilli flavoured beef steak burgers (from Ballymena-based meat company Doherty and Gray)
- Hull’s of Ballymena smokey BBQ pork sausages
- Irwins white finger rolls (Portadown bakery)
- Country Kitchen reduced fat coleslaw (from Craigavon-based Avondale Foods)
- Sweet Chilli and Cranberry coleslaw (Newtownards company Provenance Salads)
- Nightingale Farms lettuce (grown in Northern Ireland)
- Dromona mature cheddar cheese slices (part of the Dale Farm group)
- “Really Good” floury baps (made in Armagh)
We were also treated to a selection of local beers and ciders:
- Belfast Blonde (Hilden Brewery in Lisburn)
- Madden’s Meadow Cider (from Armagh Cider Company)
- Horny Bull Stout (Hillstown Brewery in Randalstown)
- Yardsman Lager (Hercules Brewing Company in Belfast)
- Belfast Ale (Whitewater Brewery in Castlewellan)
- Carson’s Crisp cider (Armagh Cider company)
So, burgers, hotdogs and a few drinks was the order of the day this week! We loved it, especially since everything is made right here! Thanks Tesco!
Northern Ireland BBQ pack from Tesco NI
Local craft beers and ciders
Chilli steak burgers with Sweet Chilli and Cranberry coleslaw, Nightingale Farms lettuce and Dromona mature cheddar cheese
Hulls of Ballymena BBQ pork sausages with Irwin’s finger rolls
How amazing has the weather been in Northern Ireland the last few days? 6 days in a row and due to last another 3 or 4!
Of course, it can only mean one thing…a BBQ!
I was very lucky to receive a package from Marks & Spencer on Friday containing products from its new Spirit of Summer range.
The range is described as “an adventure to explore the flavours of the Med” and is a mix of:
- cold picnic items such as chorizo and chickpea tortilla, or calamari with seasoned rice
- meats for the grill/BBQ including Pork Rib rack, and lamb grill steaks
- drinks such as Blood Orange wheat beer or Olive Vodka
- dressings and sauces including Sicilian Lemon and Basil vinaigrette, and Truffle Pesto
- ready-to-cook meals which include Linguine with scallops, pancetta and peas or Paprika Beef Bake
- food on the move such as Ham and Italian Smoked Cheese Piadina or Butternut Squash tabbouleh
- bakery goods including Orange and almond cupcake, and Morello cherry and pistachio tart
- snacks and treats such as Harissa sweet potato handcooked crisps or Prosecco Jellies
- and desserts including Honey and Ricotta cheesecake or Greek Peach Roulade
Included in my Spirit of Summer pack was all the goodies I needed to make a fantastic BBQ picnic and I couldn’t wait to get tucked in.
So on Saturday we fired up the BBQ and indulged in:
- Tomato and feta chicken sliders
- Chicken Souvlaki kebabs
- Smoky spiced new potatoes with garlic aioli
- Mixed slider grill (chorizo style pork sliders and Moroccan spiced lamb sliders)
- Skinny Pork Sausages (a new part of the M&S low fat/’skinny’ range of meat products)
The BBQ was amazing- particularly the Tomato and feta chicken sliders! They tasted so good! The Chorizo pork sliders were also battling it out for my favourite product! Check out the pictures below.
The Spirit of Summer range is showcasing at this year’s Balmoral Show (10th-13th May) which I am going to, so I’ll be sure to pick up a few more of the products to try out if that taster pack was anything to go by!
M&S Spirit of Summer taster pack
Barry tending to the BBQ
BBQ on the go
Finished product- totally delicious!
BBQ a success- enjoying the sunshine!
Niamh’s first BBQ!